This position provides financial accounting and analysis support to department and functional managers, providing information on all areas of project, product and functional costs in support of cost management, pricing, and financial planning and reporting processes. The incumbent participates in annual budgeting and periodic financial planning, periodic customer proposal costing/pricing processes, monthly financial closing and reporting, and special projects, as needed, preparing financial data to support management decision making.
Essential Position Responsibilities:
- Analyze and interpret financial and operating data and create accurate, timely reports for division management and corporate functions. This may include cost variance analysis at a department, product, project, market, individual material or other cost object level; inventory cost analysis; product profitability analysis; proposal cost development and analysis; labor charging and utilization analysis; and other tasks identified by senior management.
- Participate with department and functional management in the preparation and compilation of the annual financial plan and periodic financial outlook updates to enhance management’s ability to plan and monitor business performance, participate in establishing cost-based pricing structures to support customer business proposals, assist accounting with cost matters related to the annual audit, customer contract audits and income tax as required.
- Support/lead the development and maintenance of direct labor and overhead costing structures and rates across multiple cost objects (departments, service centers, cost centers, profit centers).
- Support/lead the development and maintenance of costing rates related to internally produced materials (primarily printed materials). Maintain internal transfer costs for these materials, and support cost estimating processes for customer proposal costing/pricing.
- Support/lead the on-going maintenance of the financial systems supporting labor, material and overhead costing and planning (project cost, bid/proposal, production costing), and associated reporting. Assist with the maintenance of other related systems, including timekeeping, project resource management, and general ledger, including system upgrades.
- Shared responsibility for completion of monthly account and variance analysis and reconciliations including research, problem solving, and resolution of all outstanding items. Ensure the timeliness, accuracy and completeness of monthly journal entries related to labor, overhead, inventory and transfers.
- Assist in cross-training of knowledge to ensure consistent and accurate costing methodologies are maintained and understood in the various functional groups.
- Follow and implement plans from senior management regarding work priorities.
- Design, implement and communicate procedures within the department and monitor for compliance.
- Maintain and distribute monthly financial reporting packets, ensuring data is accurate and reports are meeting business partners’ needs
- Conceptualize how the department should operate in the future to best support the business and develop action plans to meet those needs.
- Maintains financial security by following internal accounting controls.
- Other projects as assigned